Friday, 20 April 2012

Ada needs a new holding tank!

Easter shakedown cruise proved more problematic than expected. First, there was a persistent fresh water leak from a push fit elbow close to the accumulator and then I found a leak from the holding tank. The holding tank is 122 x 102 x 36 cm and steel. Fitted when the boat was new it has rusted through and was leaking effluent. I eventually found a number of holes so no point in repairing it. I've order a new plastic tank, half the size to gain some extra storage space. The problem is now to get the old tank out as was put in before the boat was fitted out but first it needs a thorough pump out. This was done at Lowersmoor Wharf. During the pump out I was able to lift the tank and prop it up so that the content flowed to the outlet. Lowersmoor Wharf did a thorough job of rinsing the tank a few times so hopefully the worst is out.
I was hoping to get a quote for Lowersmoor wharf to lift it out and dispose of it after I have moved kitchen units to allow it to be moved through the boat but I've not had a call back with a quote. The next option is to cut it up onboard using a jigsaw ... further thought needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment