Thursday, 6 June 2013

Shake Down Cruise

During half term holiday we took a few days to check how fit Ada is and have a few days away. We cruised North to the Staff and Worcs and then on to Stourton Junction and return. First 3 days of the Bank Holiday Weekend were brilliant, but cool, sunshine. After that it rained so much that the River Severn was threatening flood conditions. As we had a date with our Granddaughter, N, we returned a day early. In the event the rain stopped and the river was never Red.
Ada was mostly fit. However, the recently fitted advanced alternator regulator was not working. As this device is over 10 years old I'm assuming it's the unit and not how I fitted it. A new digital unit is on order and I'll fit it as we cruise next. The Smartgauge showed that we used between 40 and 50% battery capacity overnight and it took 4-5 hours of running the engine to get back to 100%.
Holding tank is giving us about 9 days endurance and the level can just about be made out through the natural plastic side. I'll have to mark off 'days to go to full' on the tank side!
I also tried a TV 'stick' aerial but in a cutting. The result was surprisingly good but not enough for comfortable viewing. I'll try it again when the surrounding countryside appears better for reception. The   advantage of the 'stick' aerial is that it does not consume battery capacity, unlike the satellite aerial.
Now provisioning Ada for our long cruise.

No comments:

Post a Comment