Although fitted I had not been able to get the advanced digital regulator to work for our Oxford and Sharpness cruises so today decided to investigate further by changing the 55 amp alternator for the 70 amp alternator. The former is has a field wire I fitted whilst the latter has one fitted professionally. Before starting though I would check the 12v supply to the unit using my 'universal' testing 'wire with bulb and clips' ... I had previously tested using a 12v meter ... result no power! Connected the unit directly to 12v supply and it worked. Did not fit the 70 amp alternator ... went for lunch out instead.
I don't think I'm a complete idiot. I'm convinced I had 12v on the meter and when first fitted the battery type LED on the unit was flickering. I have now to investigate whether the terminal on the ignition switch does not give 12v or whether there is a fault between the terminal and where I connected to the advanced regulator. Also want to be able to switch off the advanced regulator when a planned long cruise or a reasonable battery state make its use unnecessary, so some further work required. Until then we can cruise with the regulator operating and find out how effective it is at speeding up recharging the batteries.
No comments:
Post a Comment