Refitting the alternators in the reverse positions went very smoothly. I was concerned that I did not detect any output from the 55 amp alternator before taking it off. However, when refitted it in the primary position it worked perfectly.
The puzzle came as I could not detect any output from the 70 amp alternator in the secondary position. I've used an alternator in this position with the same cabling to charge the bow thruster batteries for 10+ years. After some investigation I found that fitting the warning light resulted in the alternator generating 14+ volts. So how have the bow thruster batteries been charging for the last 10+ years?!
So 3 outstanding tasks:
1. Fit warning light to 70 amp alternator.
2. Connect bow thruster batteries to shore charging cable.
3. Fit advanced alternator regulator to 70 amp alternator.
4. Fit split charge diode.
1. Wire to control panel already in place so need to order lamp holder and fix in place.
2. Currently cable is connected, as per instructions, to domestic batteries and I have no idea how to progress the task.
3. I've order from ebay a replacement regulator with the earth negative field wire already fitted. The wiring loom from my previous failed attempt will need modifying by shortening all the cables but should be a quick job.
4. A future task.
Overall a satisfying days' work.
No comments:
Post a Comment