When Ada was painted I asked that all the holes for the front and back door catches be filled and painted over. The catches were short cabin hooks. They pushed the doors away from the cabin sides and eventually wore away the paint.
I had some vague idea of using magnetic catches. This proved harder than I expected but today I fixed magnets to all doors and I'm very pleased with the result.
 |
| Keeper on front window frame |
I eventually found rubber covered round magnets. Rubber covered to prevent damaging the paint where they strike. Off the boat they are very fierce but attached to the doors they apply just the right hold. The steel back doors strike and hold to the cabin sides. the magnets are pushed out by 4 washers behind them to prevent the doors hitting the back cover fixings. The front doors have a keeper fixed to the wood window frame and the magnets on the doors. the thickes of these is sufficient to prevent the handles hitting the glass of the front windows.
 |
| Magnet with spacer washer behind |
 |
14 mm gap, just enough to be clear of the cover studs |
No comments:
Post a Comment