The guide on Canalworld.net proved very useful. I did not succeed, for whatever reason, in drilling out the rivets so ground them off. This was no problem for the rivals holding the outer case to the base as it can be done from the inside. This was not sufficient get the outer case past the flue outlet and fuel input. I had to grind off the rivets holding the top ring and fiddle rail. This had to be done very carefully as any over grinding will be seen. I also had to remove the large brass T piece from the fuel pipe and only then could the outer cover be lifted off.
Then, first grinding off the rivets fixing the inner case to the base, and then the rivets securing the burn pot, completed delicate work with the angle grinder. When grinding off the rivets from the face they need to be pushed back with a centre punch. After doing this to the 3 rivets holding the burn pot I placed the inner assembly on the bench and, using a piece of wood and a hammer eased the burn pot down and out.
The stove was now dissembled and the burn pot, apart from some surface dirt, was fine. All the holes were clear. Obviously this was not the problem! The only suspect part is the catalyst or burn coil. At nearly £100 I'll reassemble the stove and try lighting it again to see if the recent failure was just a one off. I'll reassemble the stove using no8 self tapping screws.
The regulator is not the same as the one described in the Canalworld.net post and a suggested alternative elsewhere on Canalworld is not the same so that will go back as it was taken off.
Neither the primary fuel fitter/water separator nor the filter in the stove regulator had any significant dirt trapped … not bad for over 10 years use.
I do need a new drill though. Trying to drill out the rivets, at some stage, I found that the drill was not working in 'forward'. So whether I had been trying to drill out the rivets using 'reverse' or whether the drill failed while I was using it I have no idea.
No comments:
Post a Comment