Sunday, 8 December 2013

The Refleks Stove requires maintenance

There is a diesel Refleks stove in the main cabin. I have done nothing to it over the years than occasionally clear out the accumulated gunge at the bottom of the 'burn pot'. From time to time the stove has been difficult to light and has unexpectedly gone out. The last time we were onboard the stove failed to burn properly … the match continued to burn as a wick to a pool of fuel. Checking inside I could see part of the catalyst was corroded so guessed a replacement was required.

The problems started when I began to search online for spare parts. Not only can I not find a spares list  but it appears that maintenance was required! … 'the burner pot should be removed … every 2 years for a more thorough cleaning'. And there's a filter in the regulator! It seems a more thorough overhaul is required but no manufacturer/supplier details online. However, canalworld.net has a useful guide to servicing the heater and it needs rivets to be drilled out … not an onboard task. So next weeks a visit to the boat to bring home the stove.


No comments:

Post a Comment